Security Issues of Online Exam
Part 1: Security Issues of Online Exam (50%)
Assume we are exploring the possibility of an on-line final exam for CSCI 2513. Please describe some of the security issues that this raises. Your task is not to come up with a security design for such an exam, but to enumerate issues that would need to be explored in order to come up with the requirements and design. Think in terms of the terminology and concepts we introduced in the course. Your write up should be approximately one page. (Hints: Identification and Authorization, Confidentiality, Access Control Policy, Accountability, Privacy, etc.)
Requirements / Evaluation
- At least three security issues should be discussed.
- Terminology and concepts are appropriately introduced to illustrate your ideas.
- The writing should be well structured, smooth and easy to read.
PART II Antivirus Software (50%)
Understand the basic components of antivirus software and utilize it to keep your information safe.
Check the information on Anti-virus and Malware Protection at the TWU website:
Go to c|net website http://www.cnet.com (Links to an external site.) , click DOWNLOAD tab and type “antivirus free download” into the search box. The available options are listed alphabetically. You may narrow your search (left-hand-column choices) so you can see antivirus software for your particular system.
Other possible authoritative website for antivirus software: PC World www.pcworld.com (Links to an external site.)
- First step, determine whether there is antivirus software on your current laptop or computer.
Tips: To find out if you already have antivirus software in Windows 7:
- Open Action Center by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, and then, under System and Security, clicking Review your computer’s status.
- Click the arrow button next to Security to expand the section.
Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender
Check to see if you have anti-virus software installed on your Windows computer.
The best way to tell if you have anti-virus software installed is to use the Security Center feature on your Microsoft operating system. When you select this option, you’ll be presented with a status for:
- Anti-virus software.
- Firewall protection.
You can do this by following these simple steps:
- Users using the classic start menu: Start > Settings > Control Panel > Security Center.
- Users using start menu: Start > Control Panel > Security Center.
If Windows can detect your antivirus software, it’s listed under Virus protection.
- Second step, choose antivirus software and install it on your computer or laptop.
Mac users are frequently told that they do not need antivirus software because Macs have built-in antivirus software in their operating systems. However, all computers can be exposed to viruses and have more than the standard software that comes with Macs and PCs will keep you safer. Use resources provided above to find what antivirus software is frequently advised for Mac or Windows users. Describe the software that you choose to install and why you choose it.
- Is free antivirus software any good? What are some common differences between the free versions of antivirus software from a vendor and the version that the vendor sells for a price?
- Run the antivirus software installed on your laptop or computer to check for viruses on your computer or on a USB drive. You do not need to run a complete virus scan. A “quick” scan is sufficient. Describe and analyze the results of the scan. Screenshots can be included.
The length of the report should be between one to two pages. The evaluation will be based on the demonstrated ability to identify, evaluate, and apply information from various sources and the quality of the report (the content).