Political Science Justice Confirmation and Nomination Process Essay
You need a title page, page numbers and a citation/bibliography (NOTE you will lose points if you do not follow these requirements).
Consider the passing of RBG and the nomination and confirmation of Amy Coney Barrett, and the politics surrounding this nomination.
Watch the last 2 confirmation hearings (Kavanaugh and Barrett) and write a review covering the following:
- What is the process of nominating and confirming a justice to the US Supreme Court? And how has it changed in the last 5 years?
- What kinds of questions are asked during the hearings you watched? And why are these questions important or what are politicians attempting to ascertain by asking such questions? Be specific in your discussion (remember you are providing an analysis NOT a “blow by blow” account of what you watched.
- How do the justices respond to the questions asked? And do these answers tell us anything about the kind of justice the candidate might be if confirmed to the bench?
- What patterns do you see with the hearings?
- Using either Kavanaugh or Barrett evaluate their voting on the bench and whether it is reflective of their confirmation hearings?
- With respect to the constitutional provision of nominating and confirming an Art III judge, provide one suggestion you would propose for reform.
While the prompt shows a set of questions you should write it as an essay. You don’t necessarily need a thesis statement (an argument), but your first paragraph should let the reader know what you will address eg. First, this paper describes the process. Next this paper evaluates X etc.
You can use the following links for the two respective hearings but you can also use other links. Remember to only watch about 75mins of the hearings.
Feel free to skip and rewind on the hearings so you get a good understanding of what took place.