Finding the Evidence Nursing Research Assignment Help
Module 4 Evidence Based Practice: Finding the Evidence
Submit by the due date and time listed in your syllabus.
This assignment will allow you to create an evidence-based practice project that includes the development of a PICO question and follows the initial steps of the Iowa Model. You will share your findings using an APA formatted paper.
My topic: Prevention of post operative complications
My PICO(T) question: Are women having gynecological surgeries (P) who have received evidence-based care such as education about importance of early mobilization, early feeding, oral pain medication, breathing exercise via incentive spirometer (I) at decreased risk for post op complications and better early recovery (O) compared with women having gynecological surgeries (P) with women who didn’t received evidence-based care such as education about importance of early immobilization, early feeding, breathing exercises via spirometer (C) over 1 week (T)?
The above is my topic
Instructions for Completing Your Assignment
Use a quantitative article that was approved for your PICO-t QUESTIONS.
- Collecting More Evidence (Do the research)
- Find a credible scholarly or government resource published within the past 5 years that provides you with at least two facts (ex. costs, morbidity, mortality, safety, or other related statistics) for why your clinical problem is important (provide statistics). (The internet is a great place to get this information…just don’t forget to cite this information and add it to your reference page).
- Find a clinical practice guidelinethat relates to your question. It must have information that relates to the role of the nurse. Guideline is the most recent version or published within the past five years. (It is true that guidelines are not always updated within 5 years so you will need to discuss this.) There are several websites listed in your textbook that can help with searching for guidelines.
- Find a clinical “how-to” article, a nursing professional practice website, a systematic literature review, a meta-analysis, or some other credible academic resource published within the past 5 years that relates to your practice question.
- Hint: Did you notice that you will be finding a total of four different sources of information for your PICO question? To re-cap, these four sources are:
- Statistics you are reporting in paragraph one.
- Nursing quantitative research article for paragraphs 2, 3, and 4
- Clinical Practice Guideline (paragraph 5)
- A source of your choosing (paragraph 6)
Must be 5-7 pages (between)
Total 7 paragraphs
- Paragraph #1: This is your opening paragraph. Start with an introduction statement. What is your PICO question? Describe why was it important (share the dollars, morbidity / mortality, statistics, safety stats you found with citation)?
- Paragraph #2: What did your nursing quantitative research article add to your knowledge on this topic? State the design (descriptive, correlational, predictive correlational, experimental, or quasi-experimental), sampling method, and setting of the study (this should only take one sentence: e.g. “Smith and Johnson conducted a predictive correlational study using a convenience sample from a psychiatric outpatient clinic.”). State the major findings of the study (maximum 3 findings). The findings you share should come from the results or discussion settings and should be relevant to your PICO question and your practice as a nurse.
- Paragraph #3. Mention the major research variables in your article. Do not include demographic variables unless they are important to the results of the study. For each major variable, give a conceptual and operational definition (if the authors did not give a conceptual definition you can say “not given”). Give the level of measurement for each variable (nominal, ordinal, interval, or ratio).
- Paragraph #4: Using the skills you have learned in your critique of a research article, describe two strengths or two weaknesses (or one strength and one weakness) that you found as you read this article. Go back to what you learned in your article critique about sampling methods, measurement methods (ex. questionnaires), and data collection (how did they collect the data to make sure you are being thorough in your assessment. Be specific, so that your instructor, if reading the article, can find them too. Do not re-state the limitations provided by the authors of your study unless they have to do with the study’s sampling, measurement methods, or data collection. Do not discuss the research design or the descriptive or inferential statistics used by the authors as a strength or weakness of the study, as this is not related to the study’s sampling, measurement methods, or data collection.
- Paragraph #5: What is the name and website of the clinical practice guideline that you found? Share at least three facts that you found within the guideline that is relevant to the PICO question and your practice as a BSN nurse and cite the guideline appropriately.
- Paragraph #6: Identify the fourth resource you found (clinical “how-to” article, a nursing professional practice website, a systematic literature review, or a meta-analysis) that relates to your practice question. Share at least three facts that you found within this source that is relevant to the PICO question and your practice as a nurse and cite appropriately.
- Paragraph #7 (and #8 if needed): re-state your PICO question and briefly summarize what you have learned through your search. What would you recommend, if anything, as a change in practice for nurses? Why? Remember, this is your closing paragraph(s).
- Note to students about writing up your findings:
- This is a formal APA paper. Do not use first- or second-person language in this paper. Points will be taken off if you do. Look at the Rubric for more APA information for this paper. APA points will be taken off for spelling, grammar, and usage errors.
- Your paper must be between five and seven pages (double spaced), not including the cover page and references.
- Use the following headings for paragraphs 2 through 7: Summary of Research Article, Major Variables, Strengths, and Weaknesses, Practice Guideline, Fourth Resource, Conclusion.