EDUC 302 Pre-Reading, During-Reading, and Post-Reading Strategies Assignment Essay
Case Study Assignment Instructions
Explicit instruction should be used in order to help students become proficient skilled readers. Many pre-reading, during-reading, and post-reading strategies and activities need to be explicitly taught so all students can develop better reading skills as well as a love for reading. Teachers should provide differentiated instruction to meet the varying levels of students in their classrooms. There are so many activities for each phase of reading that if taught properly will help students learn different techniques to use on their own one day.
Lamar is a struggling reader in your first-grade classroom. You are concerned about his difficulty with reading comprehension and want to provide more practice. You have noted that explicitly teaching reading comprehension strategies through question-based activities has really helped Lamar. You are planning a reading lesson of a grade-appropriate reading selection with all of your students’ needs in mind. As you consider the needs of Lamar, you wonder which reading comprehension strategy you will teach your students and have them practice in their pre-reading, during-reading, and post-reading activities.
Based on information from Ch. 9 (section 9-4) of your textbook, you will need to:
- Construct at least a 250-word response for both Part 1 and Part 2. You will need to answer all portions of this scenario in order to receive full credit.
- Provide at least two in-text citations from your textbook; citations must be made according to current APA format.
Description of Response:
Part 1 – Choose three activities to help your students with comprehension:
- One pre-reading activity
- One during-reading activity
- One post-reading activity to reinforce your students’ comprehension of the reading selection.
For each of the three activities you must:
- Explain how the activity applies the new reading comprehension strategy and addresses the issues in the scenario.
- Give evidence from the chapter (with citations from your textbook) supporting how each activity helps students apply the new reading comprehension strategy and its appropriateness for Lamar and other struggling readers in your class.
Describe and justify how combining the three activities you chose would improve student engagement and reading comprehension in the scenario.
Page 1 of 2